Glass has been used to create smoking pipes for decades. In contrast to smoking pipes made of clay or wood, glass does not take in any flavours produced by the tobacco. Glass pipes can sustain cracks due to misuse. Rather than seeking a new glass pipe replacement, it is possible to repair such cracks. The good thing is that the layman can repair these cracks on their own. Using a glass repair kit, you should be able to fix the structural damage and diminish any cosmetic chip to the glass pipe.
What you will need
- Glass repair kit
- Razor blade
- Polishing cloth
- Jeweller's rouge
1. Obtain a glass repair kit appropriate for repairing cracks in the glass pipe. You can find one in your local glass retail store. A lot of repair kits are meant to patch up car windshields as well as glass counter tops; however make sure that you find one which is meant for non-flat surfaces like glass pipes. These repair kits comprise of a liquid solution designed to be spread directly on the chipped area.
2. Clean, rinse and dry the glass pipe in the region of the cracked section. Put the glass pipe in a bowl full of sand with the cracked area aloft. The sand serves to hold the glass pipe stable and firm when applying the liquid repair solution. If the glass is unstable, chances are that you will not be able to evenly apply the solution over the chipped area which may translate into bad outcomes.
3. Spread the repair solution to the broken section. Ensure that the liquid solution seals all the noticeable cracks. In addition, ensure that the solution is applied uniformly across the broken area. Allow the pipe to rest on the sand even as the solution continues to dry.
4. Once it is dried, use a razor blade to cautiously rub off the surplus solution over the chipped area. This process also serves to smooth off the section around the chip.
5. Using a jeweller's rouge, polish the chipped area thoroughly. This is a special polishing fabric designed to glisten any sort of glassware. It will help to remove any sort of bumps or rough patches as a result of the rubbing off previously done by the razor blade.
In the end, the chipped area might not be visible at all following the above mentioned steps. You can get supplies or additional assistance by consulting glass replacement services.